The architectural complex was built in 1765 - 1830 year
New Holland - a monument of industrial architecture of early classicism, originally used as a prison for sailors.
From the beginning of the 19th century it was used as an experimental pool of Ivan Krylov.
It was from here that Lenin informed everyone that the Revolution had taken place.
During the Great Patriotic War, the complex was seriously damaged by shelling, the restored complex fell into disrepair again by 1977. After which the architect Fabritsky put forward the idea of using the complex for cultural purposes, but the project began to be implemented only in the 21st century.
In 2014, the Dutch West 8 developed a project for the restoration and reorganization of the island,
which should be completed in 2025.
Part of the island is open at the same time. In addition to the park, the island functions as a concert,
educational and film venue.